MY SILVER CREEK

Keep it Safe 

 

CARBON MONOXIDE Dec 12

My Silver Creek  
2008 - CBC NEWS - HOME AND YOUR SAFETY

 

 

Every year, about 300 people die in North America after being overcome by carbon monoxide. It is the leading cause of fatal poisonings in North America.

 

At high concentrations, carbon monoxide (CO) can kill you within a few minutes. One of the major symptoms — confusion — can leave you unable to understand that your life is in danger.

 

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless and non-irritating gas produced by the incomplete burning of fossil fuels. Fuel-burning appliances — like your furnace — normally produce insignificant amounts of carbon monoxide, unless they are not used or maintained properly.

 

Leaving a car running in a closed garage will produce enough carbon monoxide to overcome and kill you within a few minutes. If left running long enough, a car can fill your home with fatal concentrations of carbon monoxide.

 

Why is carbon monoxide so dangerous?
You need oxygen to live. Carbon monoxide prevents your bloodstream from absorbing the oxygen you breathe in. It also poisons your red blood cells, preventing them from carrying oxygen.

 

Without a constant supply of oxygen, your body's tissues and organs will stop functioning. Your brain is particularly at risk. If it's deprived of oxygen for even a short time, it will be damaged. Most of the early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are produced by a brain that's not working right because it has been deprived of oxygen.

 

What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?
The initial symptoms are similar to the flu. They include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness.

 

If you're exposed to low concentrations of the gas, you might experience shortness of breath when you exert yourself moderately. You will also likely have a slight headache and feel dizzy and nauseous.

 

At higher concentrations, your headache may become severe. You could have trouble with your vision and your hearing. You will feel dizzy and may collapse or faint with any level of exertion — and you will become confused.

 

At extreme concentrations, you will slip into a coma within a few minutes and die.

 

What should I do if I experience some of the symptoms?
At the first sign of any of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, you need to get out of the house and into fresh air. Call for emergency assistance or get someone to take you to a hospital.

 

Open your windows to help ventilate the house.

 

If you enter a home and find someone unconscious, move the person outside. The patient should be kept lying down and warm until emergency personnel arrive.

 

If the patient regains consciousness, he/she should remain resting for at least two hours. The person should not be encouraged to walk.

 

If the person has stopped breathing but there is a pulse, begin mouth-to-mouth respiration and continue until the patient begins breathing or help arrives.

 

How long will it take to recover?
It can take a long time to rid the body of carbon monoxide, but you can speed up the process by administering pure oxygen to the patient. Symptoms won't clear up as soon you get the patient into fresh air. The patient will likely experience headaches, dizziness and confusion for several hours after exposure to carbon monoxide.

 

Very severe cases can lead to pneumonia or permanent brain damage. Some people have died of carbon monoxide poisoning even after it seemed that they had recovered.

 

What can I do to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning?
- Get a carbon monoxide detector and test the battery regularly, if it runs on batteries. It's the law in many municipalities. Never ignore your CO detector if it goes off. Call 911 and get out of the house.

- Get a professional to inspect all fuel-burning heating systems in your home, including furnaces, boilers, fireplaces, and water heaters, once a year. Your furnace and fireplace should be cleaned annually.

- Furnaces and fireplaces must be properly vented in order to burn fuel properly. Have a professional inspect your chimneys, flues and vents for leakage or blockage. This should be done every year.

- All vents to furnaces, water heaters, boilers and fuel-burning appliances should be checked to make sure they are not loose or disconnected.

- Don't try fixing your furnace or fuel-burning appliances unless you've been trained in how to do it.

- If you have a gas stove or a gas clothes dryer, they should also be inspected for leaks and proper ventilation.

- If your natural gas-fired furnace was built before 1987, consider replacing it. Models built after then include "flame roll-out protection technology," which prevents flames from spilling out of the combustion chamber.

- Never burn charcoal or run your gas barbecue indoors or in an enclosed area.

- Never leave a car idling in a garage. The exhaust, which contains CO, can penetrate the walls.

 

Source:  CBC News

Comments: 0

Add a comment

Name: E-mail:    
Comment:
Email again:

Peel Regional Police

Crime Prevention Services

905-453-3311 - Ext. 4021

Emergency: 911

Non-Emergency: 905-453-3311

TDD: 905-451-1196


PEEL POLICE & COMMUNITY

WORKING TOGETHER

POLICE ALERT


Chain Email

(March 24, 2010)

E-mail account take-over Alert

(December21, 2009)

Grandparent Scam Fraud Alert

(December 7, 2009)

Lotery Scam Alert

(October 26, 2009)

Family and Friends Fraud Alert

(October 21, 2009)


 

Catalytic Converters

A hot commodity in the black market  

 "Try to park your vehicle in a safe and secure place, where a stranger with a saw would be instantly suspect.   When possible, keep your car in the garage, instead".

MOST WANTED

Have you seen them?

Peel's Most Wanted

 Robbery Bureau

Top 10 Most Wanted

 

311service

Questions & Answers

 

Click here

 Get involved!

We can make a difference!

 

ON LINE PETITION FOR CANADA-WIDE HANDGUN BAN

PLEASE SPREAD THE NEWS

 

SAFETY TIP OF THE DAY

If you have a fireplace, woodstove or use gas logs/furnace, make sure you have an operable UL approved carbon monoxide detector.

 

Road Watch

Report aggressive driving

STAY TUNED 

 Tuesday nights>7:30 pm 

GTA's Most Wanted

Watch the latest episode 

(First aired: July 9, 2009)

 A partnership among Peel Regional Police, Rogers Television and other Police Agencies across the GTA, to make our Region a Safer Community.   A show intended to engage the public to help the police apprehend suspects and criminals.  

 The Police Show, produced by the Peel Regional Police, is a weekly half-hour TV show featuring the latest news, as well as legal and crime prevention issues.  

Stay Tuned.  Visit Rogers Television for more information...

Ontario's Bill 118,

"Hands-Free" Law in full effect

 You risk a $155 fine if caught dialing and driving.   It's Ontario's law against using handheld devices like cellphones while driving.

Use voice mail and respond to the call at a safer time." 

Remember, "You'll survive a missed phone call; you might not survive a collision!"

 This safety tip was brought to you by

 Transport Canada

 

GRAFFITI

 READ IT, RECORD IT, REPORT IT, REMOVE IT  

If you see it in our neighbourhood, please let me know and I will take care of it.  If you see graffiti in progress, please call 9-1-1. 

You can also follow the link below to fill a

Graffiti Report and submit it on line

Do you have a PC at home?  Did you know that only 28% of parents are aware that their children use Instant Messaging?  Click on the logo below to learn more about this Internet 101 Tool Kit.

CAMPAIGN IN EFFECT  

 Pedestrian Safety  

I Am Not A Target

- I make eye contact with drivers

- I listen to what's around me

- I look left-right-left before crossing the street, and continue looking as I cross 

 

Learn how to

SAFELY STORE AND TREAT WATER

Be prepared to be self-sufficient for at least 72 hours.

Know the risks /  Make a plan /  Prepare a kit

____________________________________________

Support our Troops

 Gallery of our fallen soldiers in Afghanistan

 Peel Regional Police pay tribute to our officers serving in Afghanistan

____________________________________________

(Picture©Anabela)

"What is life?

It is the flash of a firefly in the night.  It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.  It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."  Crowfoot

__________________________________

QUICK LINKS

 Mississauga Weather

Green Jelly Transport Travel Passenger Airplane Icon Check your flight status

 Currency Converter 

Calculator for anything  & everything 

Small Globe Need a map?  Google it or Bing it  

free car icon Road Conditions 

Check out live highway traffic conditions in Toronto and Peel Region, courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation highway cameras.  Click here.

Drive Safely.

KIJIJI  - Canada's top free local classifieds site

 

__________________________________

Information on video

Watch now...

__________________________________

GIVING BACK

  

 Raising money to help breast cancer patients

 

Be a life saver!  Donate blood!

With one visit only, you can save three lives.

Find a clinic...

UNICEF

Somewhere... there's a child in need.

Click to Give Free Food

Mississauga Humane Society

Please help saving a pet's life!