Fireworks Safety Tips
- To minimize the risk of fire and burn injury, the fire service does not recommend family fireworks or informal neighbourhood displays.
- The fire service recommends attending public fireworks displays hosted by your municipality or other responsible organization.
- If you still choose to have a family fireworks or an informal
neighbourhood display, check with your local fire department about
regulations regarding fireworks. Here are some important safety tips to be followed:
- Appoint a responsible person to be in charge. Only adults who are aware of the hazards and essential safety precautions should handle and discharge fireworks.
- Carefully read and follow the label directions on fireworks
- Always keep a water hose or pail of water close by when
- Discharge fireworks well away from combustible materials like buildings, trees and dry grass.
- Keep onlookers a safe distance away, upwind from the area where fireworks are discharged.
- Light only one firework at a time and only when they are on the ground. Never try to light a firework in your hand or re-light
dud fireworks. For dud fireworks, it is best to wait 30 minutes
and soak them in a bucket of water. Dispose of them in a metal
- Discharge fireworks only if wind conditions do not create a
- Keep sparklers away from children. Sparklers burn extremely hot and can ignite clothing, cause blindness and result in severe burns. As the sparkler wire remains hot for some minutes after burnout, it should be immediately soaked in water to avoid
- If someone gets burned, run cool water over the wound for three to five minutes and seek medical attention, if necessary.
- Office of the Ontario Fire Marshal