Safety in your home
These are safety measure you can take to reduce the opportunities that a burglar is looking for.
- Conduct a security check of your home to determine possible entry points and any weaknesses they may have.
- Keep all entrances and garages well-lit at night.
- Do not leave tell-tale signs that you are away.
- Install good locks and always use them.
- Install a wide-angle door viewer which permits you to see callers before you open the door.
- Never open a door to strangers without credentials.
- Change your routine often. Burglars can operate on your routine!
- Do not keep large amounts of money in your home. Mark valuable items for identification. The Operation Identification program has been developed by police to assist people in marking their property.
- Keep valuables in a safety deposit box at your bank. If this is not possible, keep them locked up in a reasonable hiding place in your home.