Before heading out on the trails during March Break, snowmobile riders should make sure their selected route is safe for riding.
Ontario is home to 43,000 kilometres of maintained, interconnected snowmobile trails - the most extensive network of recreational trails in the world.
These important tips will help make your ride safe during March Break:
- Always ride sober: alcohol and drugs affect judgment and increase your risk of fatigue and hypothermia
- Check local ice conditions before heading out - they can change rapidly
- Avoid travelling on unmarked frozen lakes and rivers - and always wear a buoyant snowmobile suit and carry ice picks to improve your chances of survival if you break through the ice
- Respect the speed limits posted on trails and roadways - the speed limit on trails is generally 50 kilometres per hour unless otherwise indicated
- Never ride alone - tell someone when and where you are going and what route you will take.
For more safe riding tips and information, visit Ontario's Safe